Dean's heard of this before, back on one of the cruise ships; birds dying of exhaustion because they can't find land. Their homing and breading patterns shot to shit because of all the water.
He stares at their carcases floating on the surface and he wishes he knew what breed they were. Hell, if he's wishing, he wants Sam to be here to tell him.
Dean wonders how long the dead birds will float before something eats them. Maybe they were the last of their kind. Maybe they've joined the list of the newly extinct.
I've been working on this fic for years, and one day I hope to finally finish it! I'm so late to this party that most people have already taken part, but if you haven't been tagged, and you want to join in, please consider this your invitation.
I'm late to the party but thought I'd join in anyway. becc_j gave me the letter T. So here goes:
Something I hate: Tarantula's, (mens) Toes and Toenails, Ticking clocks when I’m trying to sleep, Turnips, (sad) Tears.
Something I love: Travelling, TV shows, Talking, Tea, Teddy Bears, Trinkets, Toast, (happy) Tears.
Somewhere I’ve been: Toronto, (Lake) Tahoe, Temple Sowerby (a village near where I live), Tebay. (This one is hard!)
Somewhere I’d like to go: Tokyo, Texas, Thailand.
Someone I know: A few Tracey's, and a few Thomas/Tom's. I had a cat named Tigger too, but unfortunately she went missing a few years ago ;(A film I liked: (I'm not going to include anything that begins with 'The' because I'm sure that's cheating!) Thelma and Louise, The Theory of Everything, Thor, Toy Story, Top Gun, Total Recall, True Romance and Troy. I'm sure I'm missing some?!
This was fun - thank you for the letter becc_j! I think just about everybody has done this meme, but if you want a letter let me know :)
1. The Men of Letters have hidden the book somewhere in the Bunker. But Sam isn't worried because the book whispers clues in his ear; one by one, night after night. All he has to do is piece them all together.
A few days later and Sam peeling off his sweat-drenched shirt and smashing through the last false wall in one of the storage rooms with a sledge hammer. His muscles are singing with agony, but as soon as he lays his eyes on the book, he can hear it purr.
It's happy. It wants Sam to own It, to use It. It tells him that they're two pieces of a whole, and that together they can save Dean.
2. “Should you be drinking that?” The tone is harsher than he wanted it to be, which he knows isn't fair. But dammit, Jared promised to take care of himself.
Dipping his chin, Jared turns to look at him, his bloodshot eyes peering over his aviators. “What's it gonna do? Kill me?”
Jared's smiling, full on dimples, and it's been a few days since Jensen's seen that. He wants to smile back, wants to find the fun in the moment, even if it's just for Jared's benefit. But he just can't.
All he can think about is the different chemicals in Jared's body - the ones he knows about, and the ones he's still trying to figure out at the lab - and the hundreds and thousands of different ways they could be reacting to that Bourbon. It makes him want to puke.
3. Their room suddenly feels too small, like he's boxed in. Pushing himself off the chair, Dean heads outside, his lungs tight as he gasps at the cool night air. He can feel Sam's presence even before a warm hand curls over his shoulder.
They don't say anything, there are no more words. They're stuck here; somewhere in-between their old life, and a new one that they haven't been able to forge yet. It feels like Dean's just woke up after months of sitting on the sidelines watching it all fall apart.
1. I'm a firm believer that you can't have one without the other. But if you're making me pick just one, and I have to do it, I'd go Sam.
2. I've always been fond of Balthazar. But Zachariah was cool too. Oh and Uriel, he was pretty awesome.
3. Azazel. But Meg's up there too, along with Crowley. And I always enjoyed how we never really knew what side Ruby was really on.
4. Alastair - he was scary! Abaddon! But that little girl Lilith was pretty damn freaky too. Oh and those changlings were nightmare inducing.
5. 1, 2 and 4 (one and two because they will always be dear to me for sentimental reasons, and four because it was so hard to watch but in the best kind of way!)
6. This is too hard. Devils Trap? Swan Song? Mystery Spot? Croatoan? In My Time Of Dying? A Very Supernatural Christmas? What is and What Should Never Be? Skin? Sacrifice? Home? I just can't. Epic fail.
7. I'm not much of a shipper. But it will have to be Sam/Jess.
8. Lucifer, for sure.
9. Metatron. I know we were supposed to dislike him, but he just ate up too much air time for me.
10. Jim Beaver. Kim Rhodes. Felicity Day. JDM. Samantha Smith. Mark Pellegrino. Colin Ford. (What's the difference between recurring roles and supporting actor? I cheated here.)
11. There's so many. "I lost my shoe", "Bitch/Jerk", "Memory foam - it remembers me", "...you're my brother and I'd die for you", "I'm Batman", "You fudging touch me again and I'll fudging kill you". I could go on and on... but for the sake of this meme lets just say it's this; "Saving people, hunting things. The family business."
I don't know why I found this meme such a challenge but I truly did. Thank you to ash48 for the encouragement and to harrigan for the tag. So here goes...
- In general I'm a positive, glass half full, kind of person. I don't like to dwell on negative thoughts, I don't like to say or point out negative things. I'd much rather focus on the positive.
- I don't take myself too seriously and I'm more than happy to be silly and poke fun at myself.
- I'm a talkative, chatty and approachable person.
- I love to laugh, and spread that laughter. I laugh loud, and sometimes uncontrollably which has lead to snorts and out-of-mouth drink geysers!
- I'm not afraid to push myself out of my comfort zone. Whether it's doing a bungee jump, or taking part in fandom, writing a fic that's different from what I've done before, to doing this meme. It's all kinds of scary-fun to say yes as often as you can!